Marzipan is easily bought in the shops ready made.
However, it is often full of unnecessary ingredients such as oils, colouring and flavouring.
Ok it is convenient to buy already made in a packet, but it is sooooo simple to make and only requires basic ingredients.
It doesn't look as yellow, because it doesn't have artificial colour. It isn't quite as smooth, having a slight texture from the ground almonds. But why do you eat it? ..... for the flavour ..... Believe me, if you try homemade marzipan, you are getting the simplest ingredients and the most flavoursome marzipan.
Try homemade marzipan and your'll never buy it again!
Make your own marzipan, once tasted, you'll never go back to shop bought pre-made
- 175 grams Caster Sugar
- 280 grams Icing Sugar
- 450 grams Ground Almonds
- 1 teaspoonVanilla Essence
- 2 Eggs
- Mixing bowl
How to make great Marzipan
- Mix the caster sugar, icing sugar and ground almonds in a bowl;
- Make a well in the middle and add the eggs, beaten, and the vanilla extract;
- Stir the ingredients together with the handle of a spoon;
- Dust a work surface with icing sugar, empty out the mixed contents of the bowl;
- Knead the marzipan until a smooth dough;
- Stop as soon as it becomes a dough as over kneading will make it greasy. If it becomes greasy dust with icing sugar;
- Shape into a ball, and cover with a Beeswax Wrap or foil to stop it drying out;
- Keep cool until ready to use.